Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Preparing for "The Challenge"

Okay, now that Kir has made a public statement she's up for the National Novel Writing Month challenge (writing a rough draft of a novel of 50,000 words in 30 days) I begin "boot camp" and preparations for the battle!

I've done the math - 50,000 words in 30 months is the equivalent of:
1,667 words/day (2,500 words/day if I take weekends off, but that's too scary!)
178 pages of manuscript, double-spaced, 12 pt type
Two 30-minute sessions of "rapid writing" per day
10 extra pounds at the end of it all
30 minutes extra on the elliptical or at the gym to erase the added 10

I'm collecting my arsenal - a new folder in my documents to hold the draft, fruit gushers to ease the anxiety, the text number for a highly recommended shrink, and speed dial to all my closest family and friends who already think I'm nuts for doing this.

I've got the idea -- check! I've got to visit Kir's recommended link and start thinking through the story more.

The question remains...can she do this? Can she find 50,000 words in a month to tell her story?

Time will tell.

Are YOU up to the challenge? Can YOU write 50,000 words in 30 days?

Anne

6 comments:

Carmen Palmer said...

I'm not a novel writer, but you guys have me inspired. I am going to create my own poetry challenge for myself. Instead of writing, however, it will be revising and publishing, or submitting for publication. Will get back to you on the finer details as I make them up!

Any ideas/suggestions?

ACW said...

Yay, you!!!! What a great idea! How about submitting one finished poem a day for 30 days.... and writing 30 minutes of poetry each day for 30 days and seeing what that comes out to? Then you'll focus on publishing what's written and produce new material, too?
Anne

Kir said...

Anne, you are making this into an evil challenge! You're on, baby.

ACW said...

Right back at ya!

I warn you, I'm in full preparations for this "battle" -- filing down my nails so they're keyboard perfect. Carefully watching my 10 year old and her pals to study their character behaviors. Upping my caffeine intake by a cup of java a day.

I'm ready -- bring it on!!!
Anne

RSamul said...

That's it! I'm throwing in... I want a piece of this action... if I don't write a book - will go insane watching the election covering... I am shooting for a twisted modern Romeo and Juliette story... watch out Bill Shakespeare - I'm coming for ya'

I am going to be typing at lunch, typing at night, typing in the morning... good luck...

R-Dawg

Colleen said...

I'm in! Bring it.