Saturday, September 20, 2008

Novel in a month challenge

Hi everyone,

Thanks, Anne, for posting so many times to the alumni blog, even when none of the rest of us seem to be alive. We're here, and I read your challenge with interest. I'll admit, though, that when I told my family about it at dinner (and said that I intend to take up the challenge), everyone but Jared groaned.
Since then, I've been thinking about writing topics, because I don't think I want to write a historical novel in a month, especially one that I haven't begun to research yet. Then one of my students posted this link on a blog we put together for our Creative Writing Club. It outlines a plan for sketching out a novel in 30 minutes. Anyone who's game for the challenge might want to check it out.
Happy writing!

4 comments:

ACW said...

Hi Kir! This link is great and will be a big help for me.

You're brave to share the ambition with your family-I'm a mom who's stayed mum, dare launch a rebellion!

My plan is to do a middle grade chapter book/novel I came up with recently. Brand new, haven't given it much thought, a different genre than I've written a complete work in...so all around I leave myself open for new discoveries.

How about for you a one month project writing a novel for middle school or young adult, or even a chapter book for younger audiences? Your teaching background and writing background would converge nicely.

Glad you're considering this. I just feel it will be a fun challenge and interesting to see what happens!

Anne

Kir said...

Hi Anne,
It's interesting to hear that you're thinking of writing a YA book. I think you'll really enjoy the genre. And thinking of your kids will probably be able to help you get into the zone.
You said I should consider that genre, and it's a good idea. I had been thinking, though, of trying chick lit. Hmm.

ACW said...

Oooooooo....chick lit. Some competition for Karen Alexander, eh? I say, go for it!!!
Anne

Kir said...

That is NOT the kind of chick lit I was talking about, she said with a hint of prudishness in her voice.