Friday, September 19, 2008

Encouraging Future Writers

When I ventured out on my own this year, I thought a lot about how I would give back. This has always been very important to me, and for the last fifteen years I've worked for companies that gave me lots of opportunity to do good things in the community. Now, on my own, I wanted to make a commitment to keep up the practice.

I am focused on sharing the joys (and hardships) of writing with young people. This practice started when I began volunteering in my children's classrooms and conducting writers' workshops.

Today I visited the classroom of my WestConn MFA colleague, Maeve, and spoke to her students about writing and what it's like to be a writer. I shared with them how important writing skills were in advancing my career, how I decided to go back to school and get an M.F.A., and some examples of the types of writing I've done, from promotional games on the back of cereal boxes to magazine articles and ezines. The experience was wonderful for me, and I hope for the kids too.

One message I deliver is that writing skills are something that will help differentiate you in life, no matter what you choose to do for a living. The other is that writing gives you a voice and a way to express yourself that can be powerful and empowering.

I've written before that there's many ways to stretch ourselves with our writing that goes beyond publishing. Getting out and encouraging young people to write the best they can is one.

Anne

3 comments:

Carmen Palmer said...

Good point, Anne. Seems like the teaching at westCONN has uncovered, or renewed, a calling for you!

ACW said...

Hi Carmen - well, it's complimented what was already started. I've been focused on talking writing kids a couple of years now...but I have a more focused effort on it given my own business. The WestConn experience is just icing on the cake!
Anne

Carmen Palmer said...

Well, the future writers of the world, and those you so generously mentor every day, are lucky to have you around!