Monday, January 7, 2008

Your Digital Handshake

We have all worked hard to get through the program. Our work and our place in the writing community is changing all the time. I wanted to mention the importance of creating a website where people can see who you are and what you have to offer. Some people may scoff at a blog page, like the one you are reading right now, but simple online applications make promoting yourself easy.

Web space for a writer can give you an electronic presence that shows you are computer literate, have accomplishments that you can list, and want people to find you and seek you out as a professional. The reason I started my professional blog was to use with my resume. When I am applying for communications and new media jobs, I wanted my potential employer to see some samples of Miranda and other electronic projects that are relevant to my work. PDF versions of my articles, journalism, and boxing stories, as well as creative samples, make this a good location for people looking for an expanded resume experience.

I think Anne has a great website with a place for where she will be appearing when she speaks. I know I just updated my own website to include my title of MFA. My point in posting this to you is that if you haven't established a web page or blog about your accomplishments, it is a quick and easy way to get connected with others, and build into your resumes, electronic signature (on all your emails) and other communications. If you need help or have trouble once you start, let me know. http://www.blogger.com/ or http://www.wordpress.com/ are the two common spaces. And it's free. Be professional, work hard, and make Brian proud.

RON

http://www.ronsamul.wordpress.com/
http://www.theeclecticwriter.typepad.com/

6 comments:

ACW said...

http://wordfeeder.typepad.com/blog/Above is another great blog by a peson who works with my shortbread friend. Great tidbits for copywriters and those looking to do a small business.
Anne

Brian Clements said...

Ron, I really like the look of your blog--very clean and good, complementary colors. Was that a template or did you design it yourself?

RSamul said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
RSamul said...

This was a Wordpress template. I like Wordpress because I can upload more than just images, PDFs and word documents, but you can also have seperate pages in the blog. You can even password protect certain pages so that the general public can't see them. A few nice options not in blogger. Fletch is the one who turned me on to Wordpress a little while back. They have a lot of templates that look like blogger with a few that a really different. I tried them all.

ACW said...

I've heard really great things about Wordpress. Typepad, too, is an easy-to-use blog program with a lot of templates. I find it really easy to put in links, as well as build other pages. There are probably other things I can do with it, but just haven't had a chance to figure it out yet.

BTW, I think I'm the mysterious "missing" remark on this thread.

Anne

ACW said...

Sorry to say, have to retract my comment about WordPress. I've been trying for two days to start a new blog. Every time I try to put in my user name and password, it does not recognize me. So I put in for a lost password. They send me a new one. It doesn't work. The support page says "temporarily shut down until January 13th. Well, it's the 19th!

Very frustrating when these services do not work, free or not.

Sorry for my rant. I love the look of Ron's blog, but I'm getting concerned about ongoing maintenance if I can't even sign on the first time!!!
Anne