Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Getting Down to Business

Kir graciously shared her writing goals here on this blog. As I get going on my transition from the M.F.A. to accumulating more clips and building my writing career, here's some of the key goals I'm focused on, particularly during the next six months:

1. Send all essays and articles written to date out to be published. Send several out, at least three days a week.
TIP: I track my submissions using the TASK feature in Outlook. I consistently enter the same description, specifically "Submitted [article name] to [publication]. I then enter the start date and end date (for example, if I submitted something today and guidelines suggest I'll hear back in a month, I mark Feb 12 as the end date with a reminder flagged.)Easy way not to lose track, and it feels good when you peek into Tasks and see the list of work submitted on query!

2. Research new markets to submit to (including travel writing opportunities). I'm always amazed how much time the research takes, but I've been unearthing some very good publications --and they accept email submissions and simultaneous submissions too.

3. Build upon my bio and clip portfolio. How we present ourselves as writers is as important as what and how we write. I'm trying to hone how I describe myself and my work, and have at the ready pdf's of my published work to include in a query if requested.

4. Redo my writer's business card. This one is done and in the mail! I even added my publicity shot -- a bold move on my part.

5. Take my blog to the next level. It's time to finetune the focus of my blog The Eclectic Writer in support of my writing career going forward. I'm repositioning the blog to be more targeted on the types of writing I'm focused on: women's issues, parenting, work/life balance,communications, and travel.

6. Work on my novel. Given the great feedback from the residency, I'm encouraged to move on!

OK, enough of writing my goals down. It's time to get back to work!
Anne

No comments: