Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Turn Your Reading List into Publication Opportunities

I know we are writing and getting our work out to the world. This is an exciting time. But, don't forget about the reading you do. We know the cornerstone of good writing is understanding our genre and what is changing through critical reading. So, why not turn that into (in my case) a resume builder or better - a pay check? Turn your reading list into publishing opportunities.

Writing books reviews, like all writing, as its levels of intensity. Daniel Asa Rose will tell you, as an apex predator of reviewing, it is a very dicey business. You might review people that may publish your work. You might burn bridges, or make new ones. Yet, that kind of work is what shapes and defines writing in the market and it is a giant responsibility.

The kind of book reviewing that I've done is more formulaic and easy to get done. Read the book, summarize and give it a positive or negative spin. Writing book reviews for local newspapers, magazines, blogs, and other media gives you an outlet for writing professionally. I've probably written 30 or 40 reviews for Library Journal and while I don't get paid, I get to read some interesting books. And I have a good portfolio of writing samples to offer in my writing portfolio. Many of the writers on the blog have posted goals for the this year, and I think one of mine is to try to crack into Publishers Weekly and see if I can write an occasional article or book review for them. Since I have a track record with the sister company Library Journal, perhaps it will help me crack into another publication.

See Ron's Review : The Anatomy of Deception in Library Journal.

Note, that while this direction worked for me, don't forget about the value of your expertise. Kirsten wrote an article for a spiritual magazine, she might review books in that field. She might review historical fiction for a regional or national magazine. Anne might review parenting books, children's books. Carmen might review poetry websites or journals. She might review poetry books in Spanish. We all have value and important talents to lend to the world of reviewing. Let's put the "pro" back into professional writing. (I know cheesy, but I am trying to be inspirational.)


3 comments:

Carmen Palmer said...

You're always inspirational, Ron!

ACW said...

Ron - this is a great posting! You're absolutely right, the reading is as important as the writing.

One of my current projects is to review two books for Lisa Cullen's Time, Inc. blog (long overdue, but I had this thesis thing as my excuse!) They are great for me as they touch on business and, in one case, women and careers!

You've reminded me that these are important elements of our developing platforms and resumes. Thanks for the reminder!

ACW

Kir said...

I've been thinking a lot about writing book reviews lately, Ron, and your post spurred me to a move into a more generative level of thinking. Maybe I'll actually evolve soon into the level that actually produces something. ;)

Kirstin