Wednesday, August 13, 2008

An Opportunity to Give Back Through Writing

For anyone looking for opportunities to "give back" using their writing skills in a volunteer capacity, Griffin Hospital in Derby, Connecticut has an opportunity called Vital Patient Stories (VPS). I cannot remember who first told me about this program (was it one of our MFA alumn or current students?) but according to the website:

"If you are a good listener, have a flair with the pen, and compassion in your heart, this is the volunteer opportunity for you! You will be taught interviewing and writing skills to compose creative non-fiction accounts of patients' life stories. In addition to good listening skills, empathy, and compassion, volunteers must maintain patient confidentiality."

I have not participated in VPS but have it on my list of future endeavors. If anyone is interested, contact information is listed on the website
I'm not sure if VPS is a national program, but I would bet other hospitals or healthcare facilities have similar programs.

Anne

No comments: