Monday, August 18, 2008

Want to Write a Novel in a Month?

Many of us have posted to this blog or emailed to each other our frustrations and struggles as writers with the process and discipline of writing.

So I have what I think will be a fun challenge.

As you may know, November is National Novel Writing Month, often referred to by its lovely acronym, NoNoWriMo. The whole premise, according to the website, is:

"...a fun, seat-of-your-pants approach to novel writing. Participants begin writing November 1. The goal is to write a 175-page (50,000-word) novel by midnight, November 30."

The emphasis is on completing a draft of 50,000 words and the expectation is that the draft produced will be far from perfect.

I'm looking forward to participating. I always do better with a goal and finite deadline, and love a fun challenge. I'd like to know if anyone else is interested. My hopes is that we can take a group approach and use this blog to post our progress during the month of November. At the end we can count up the total number of words we wrote, and post excerpts from our works on the blog in December. I'd even be up for a reading/critique night with any "locals" before the holidays kick in.

If you're interested, let me know.
Anne

1 comment:

Kir said...

Holy cow. I don't know if I have the tenacity to tackle 5000 words in 30 days, but I'll go for the challenge. Maybe I'll have to start a new novel, though, because I feel like my current project is going to require too much research. So 50,000 words in 30 days means... 1666.666666 words per day. How many pages do you think that is?