Monday, April 28, 2008

Beginning to See the Light!






Hi Guys,

I've been doing a lot of work and soul searching since graduating in January. I'm working on a book of poetry with my dad based on his experiences as a soldier in Vietnam. It's slow-going but amazing. Not only does he have a lot to tell, he is also so smart and well-read and historically knowledgeable that I am learning a lot about history, foreign policy and even writing (He's a Hemingway enthusiast) in the research stage.

I have also been busy developing and transforming my second genre, copywriting, into "a hobby that pays." I have discovered that while I don't have much experience in business, I devour business and marketing blogs (the cool ones) and am a natural and intuitive guide for helping people develop their small businesses. I have been helping friends and family do just that by working with them on branding, marketing, copywriting and copyediting for their entrepreneurial ventures. Since these guys are my "guinea pigs" in a way, I don't feel comfortable charging for my services (yet), and have been doing a lot of bartering. A good practice in funky economic times, and something I have the luxury to do at the moment due to lack of children, mortgage, or car payments!

I continue to lead a writing workshop, San Juan Writers, in Old San Juan. That too, is slow going, especially in terms of attracting new "clients," especially since the primary language in PR is Spanish, but I am very excited about where it is headed. It is a 3-hr workshop meeting Wednesday nights. I provide writing exercises, or prompts, and we write in response to these prompts in the workshop. People write in English or Spanish, or Spanglish! and read what they have written to the group if they are so inclined.
We respond to new work only with "what we like" "what we remember" and "what is strong," focusing on what's working, instead of what's not working, since the pieces are raw and unedited. I am considering opening up a new workshop for those who wish to work more on craft and manuscripts (as opposed to just exercising their creativity in general).

And, FYI, I just started a new blog, Creative Kindling, and would love to hear from you there if my topics (business and work, art, publishing, music etc.....) interest you.

All are welcome!

Cheers and happy writing ;)

Carmen

2 comments:

ACW said...

Carmen - The light has always shone around you. You are now just beginning to distinguish the different rays, and are paying attention to how they fall on your world and how you can capture the light and make it your own.

Your energy, enthusiasm, and ability to look beyond the obvious are among your strengths.

You go girl!
Anne

Carmen Palmer said...

Aw, shucks. Thanks ACW!