Saturday, March 22, 2008

Miranda Magazine: Politics in Sim World

Politics In Cyber-Space
I would like to announce Kelly Ripley Feller and her article "Riding the Wave" now appearing in Miranda Magazine. She took her Avatar into Second Life to examine the impact of the Presidential Campaigns in this simulated world. Kelly will be a regular to the Miranda staff and we welcome her
professionalism, expertise, and her synthesis of the world of new media. Please forward to others who might be interested.

Kelly has enjoyed a fulfilling and diverse professional career managing marketing and communications strategies for organizations that include non-profit, natural foods, healthcare, and high technology. She has worked with a variety of technology companies including Intel, Hewlett Packard, Microsoft, Intuit, SAS Software, Symantec, and IBM. Today she manages social media programs for a Fortune 100 technology company and writes about social media, marketing, business, Second Life, and politics in her dwindling spare time. An enthusiastic live music lover and classical singer, Kelly performs at local schools and senior homes and is a hospice volunteer for veterans. She has been active in Second Life for over a year and a half—the equivalent of several lifetimes in that virtual realm. She lives outside of Portland, OR with her husband and son, and holds a BA in Communications and Political Science from the University of Michigan.

Read the Article

3 comments:

Kir said...

Great article. I look forward to reading more. I still don't see myself participating much in a virtual community like this one. I wonder if I'll be one of the 250 million by 2011. And if someone will have added hours to the day by then.

Kir

RSamul said...

I agree - I tried Second Life and found it as frustrating and boring as my First Life - so that is why I found someone a bit more savy and interested in the dynamics of Second Life to write this article. But, it is interesting to see how even politicians are in simulated worlds pushing their message to a Second Life following. I happen to see an Obama logo in Second Life and I was fascinated by the out-of-the-box thinking of putting politics into that kind of realm.

Hope you are well, Kir. And that you had a nice Easter Weekend.

Kelly Ripley Feller said...

Second Life is like any other social network in that its true value lies in the network of friends and acquaintences you cultivate there. Of course it's boring when you first arrive, just like Facebook is when you begin and don't yet have your contacts within the framework. I encourge folks to spend a little more time in Second Life until they have what I call "their tipping point moment."
~Kelly Feller