Saturday, March 29, 2008

Creating a Writing Career

I was finally able to find my sign-in information so I can post here (sorry for the mass email that went out from blogger!), and not just greedily read all of your great suggestions. Until I'd followed Kir's email to this blog, I'd wondered if I was the only one finding it a challenge to make a career out of this writing thing.

Since January, I've pretty much been working on establishing a freelance writing career, with the goal of earning a full-time income from my writing by next January. Like Ron and Anne, I've been spending SO much time on research and marketing that my actual writing's been pushed beneath a rocking chair in corner of our guest room! But I think that's pretty normal - I've been told that many writers spend more time on the business of writing than the craft itself. Anne's idea of setting aside a ritualistic hour per day sounds like a great way to maintain some kind of balance.

So this month I've begun mailing out four submissions per week, and in June will begin a "$100 per day" writing plan that I've read about. Basically, it means sending out at least one hundred dollars' worth of writing submissions each day - whether it be fillers, articles, contest entries, etc. The idea is that at least some of those attempts will result in acceptances. Even a 10% success rate would mean $280 per month (and, of course, clips & credibility). In September, I'll double the amount I send out in order to increase the number of acceptances, and get closer to my income goal.

Two months ago I started a blog mostly to keep myself motivated, and found it EXTREMEly helpful. It's been a great way to keep track of my progress, get some advice, and organize the marketing and research links I use. Somewhere along the way, it's turned into more of a professional blog.

I'd love to hear more about how all of you are managing your writing lives.
Colleen

2 comments:

ACW said...

Great post, Colleen!

I spoke today at the Women in Business conference and had a great conversation with another speaker. She shared her 17 minute rule -- she'll write in 17 minutes of focused time minimum. She said the key is to write in small time increments whenever possible -- and told me how she'd write on the floor of the salon as her son got his hair cut! She finished a 423 page dissertation by squeezing in pockets of time whenever possible.

So lots of ways to do it-- it's finding the right discipline that works!
Anne

RSamul said...

Hi Colleen,
I am really glad we have your voice on this blog. It is clear that we are all working really hard and I think that we all inspire and help each other in different ways. Your blog is a great addition. It is becoming a great resource for us, and people that will be joining us as more and more students graduate and move into our positions.
Be well - RON