Friday, March 13, 2009

Moving Forward - Skinny Toe Style


The last two months have seen some interesting growth to Miranda Literary Magazine and some new prospects. It started when I was running a free program based on on-demand applications. After I finished my program, not only had I convinced people that on-demand publishing is feasible, I wanted to use it as an extension of Miranda Magazine. By offering a print version of the magazine, we began to draw appeal to an audience that wanted print as part of their publishing experience. Our first issue was a success, due in large part from the contributing writers who felt that they not only were part of a Miranda first, but also very happy with our first print experience.

It sparked the idea of having an anthology series where a theme or topic is introduced and a body of writing would be assembled. My choice, because it is a passion of mine, was to focus on "The Sea." We began getting a few submissions. We were soon included in a few list serves and now, not only have we received a large number of submissions - numbers spiked on Miranda. The anthology slated for publication in August is moving forward. A design meeting will take place next week. A process of selection and a contract will be created. A few writers like Tim Weed from the MFA program will be part of the anthology.

If good things, don't spark more good things, I am considering our first book publication that will be published under Miranda's publishing moniker Skinny Toe Press. My hope is that this year will take our quarterly to a new level. A kind review from New Pages helped push us along and give us some exposure. I am hoping to begin seeking out editors to take on their visions of an anthology topics. More importantly, I have been impressed with the network of writers and support that we have recieved. Not only are the writers excited and very generous with their resources, they are poducing very inspiring works of art. As we move forward into print publication and perhaps our first published book title under the Skinny Toe label - I must admit that I have stepped forward beyond my own expectations, beyond my own vision, beyond my own hopes. Simply put, I never thought I would be in a position to publish a book never mind sustain a magazine.

When I started the magazine as an enrichment project, I was hoping to last a year. I admit that we had a few false starts with branches and places to move forward. Miranda Film, while still a strong idea, needed more resources and direction. Podcasting is another avenue that is just too time consuming to do well without more resources. What we can do well is publish good writing. And that is what we will continue to do. I wouldn't have done this without the gudience and the support of the MFA program, my peers, and the writers who have contributed to the magazine from the beginning. I am very excited about the next year. And while creating a website that has brought writers together, it is also a privlege to allow them to hold their work in their hands. And so we move forward.

3 comments:

ACW said...

Well, glad I checked this blog. I'd pretty much given up on the alumni section.

Congrats, Ron, your focus, persistence, and patience are exemplary.

Best -
Anne

Kir said...

Ron, I am so proud to know you. Your hard work and dedication to the craft of writing is an inspiration to me. I love to brag about my publishing credit in the first print issue of Miranda, and I look forward to reading your Sea anthology. I've been working on a story I'd like to submit, but maybe I should just cool it...

EBK said...

Ron, I am in such awe of how you have grown and evolved Miranda and now Skinny Toe Press. I have long considered going the route you did and forming my own press, and I have been looking to your experience as a model for doing that. This latest series of developments inspires me further. Thanks for showing how well and smartly things can be done.

--Ed Kurpis